Are you facing problems with memory card not being recognized? When you insert the card, it may not be recognized by any of the devices such as phones, computers, card reader devices etc. Thus its content may become inaccessible. Don’t lose hope as we will introduce reliable methods that would help you to discover your unrecognized memory card without any obstacles.
As soon as you place such memory cards within your system’s card slot you may get a notification which states: “USB device (memory card) not recognized”. Yes, we all have been through such situations where memory card would have experienced a failure of being unrecognizable, leaving behind our valuable data at risk. At this point of time you may be wondering how to fix memory card that is not recognized? Read further to explore solutions to deal with this issue.
Before moving forward with feasible methods the first bit of advice is to follow below mentioned measures:
- Clean up the memory card externally from minute dust particles. Then, try placing this dirt free memory card properly within the card slot
- Check whether memory card sits firmly within the card slot
- Try to insert undetectable memory card in other phones, computers, card reader devices etc. and verify if it is being recognized
- Inspect the cables if you have plugged the card using USB cable interface
If still your memory card is not recognized, then follow next given methods.
Method 1: Updating memory card driver
If you are a Windows user then, you can try updating your memory card driver by following the below steps:
- Click on My Computer and then choose System Properties option
- From the left side menu, select Device Manager->Universal Serial Bus Controller. Then click on “+” (add symbol)
- Next, right click and select Update Driver Software
- Then, wait patiently for this process to complete. Once it’s completed, try connecting the card and check whether it is getting recognized now
Method 2: Using Disk Management tool
Follow the below steps to check whether your memory card is visible:
- Firstly, click on Start -> Control panel
- Next, select Administrative Tools ->Computer Management
- Now click on Disk Management from the new window. Then look for your memory card in Drive Viewer.
If you are still unable to make your memory card visible using above two mentioned methods, then there might be a chance of physical damage. Further, if you want to safeguard your card files then try the next approach.
Method 3: Using card data retrieval program
Yodot Photo Recovery utility offers an instant way to restore media files such as photos, videos, audio etc. stored on a memory card that isn’t recognized.
Note: Make sure that your memory card is showing up in Windows system, before using this tool.
- At first, download and install Yodot Photo Recovery utility
- Connect your memory card
- Run the tool
- Then, you will see a window with options, Deleted Photo Recovery and Lost Photo Recovery, select the second option
- Next, select the memory card that you wish to restore the data from
- Select either Data View or File Type View
- Lastly, preview your extracted files and store them on any desired location
This application’s notable feature is that it does in-depth scanning of your memory card. Another stunning aspect of this tool is that it provides concise and swift user interface which is hassle-free to operate. Further, it supports file retrieval from Hard drives, Compact Flash Card (CF card), Secure Digital Card (SD card ), XD – Picture Card, Memory Stick, Multi Media Card (MMC), Smart Media.